- Alli is the brand name for the drug orlistat. It is a very popular weight loss pills.
Orlistat is available as a prescription drug and also sold over the counter. It works by preventing the body from breaking down of some of the fat you eat eat. The intestines absorb less fat, so weight loss may be the outcome.
Studies indicate that orlistat might increase weight loss a little bit. The review found that those who took orlistat lost an average of 2.9 percent more weight than those who did not take the drug.
Orlistat may cause a change in bowel habits. People taking it may experience side effects, such as diarrhea, stomach pain, and difficulty controlling bowel movements.
2. Caffeine is a stimulant found in coffee, tea, soft drinks, and chocolate. It is also often added to diet pills and supplements.
According to a study of 76 obese adults, people who had high caffeine intake saw a greater reduction in fat mass, weight circumference, and overall weight compared to those who had a low caffeine intake.
Side effects of caffeine include jitteriness, increased heart rate, and trouble sleeping.
3. Garcinia Cambogia is a fruit that contains hydroxycitric acid, which is thought to help weight loss.
Garcinia cambogia extract contains the juices from this small fruit and is available as a weight loss pill. Garcinia cambogia may inhibit or prevent a fat-producing enzyme called citric acid lyase.
There is little scientific evidence to support the use of this extract to help with weight loss. A report shows the effectiveness of the extract in long-term clinical trials and large-scale studies has not been proven.
Although garcinia cambogia extract may not aid in weight loss, it does not appear to cause many side effects when taken in reasonable doses. The report above also indicated that adverse effects did not occur with a dietary dosage of up to 2,800 milligrams (mg) per day.
4.Green Tea – Many diet pills contain green tea because it may increase the body’s ability to burn fat, and especially fat in the stomach area.
Although more evidence is needed, some research indicates that drinks containing green tea extract may promote the loss of fat around the stomach area. The increase in fat loss may also result in modest weight loss.
Although green tea extract is usually well tolerated, it can cause stomach pain, constipation, and nausea.
5. Hydroxycut is a popular dietary supplement. There are different Hydroxycut products which contain various ingredients. These products typically contain plant extracts and caffeine, although caffeine-free versions of the supplement are also available.
There are no studies that review Hydroxycut specifically. Caffeine, which has been studied, may contribute to small amounts of weight loss.
Since the ingredients of Hydroxycut vary, it is difficult to state the possible side effects. Hydroxycut supplements that contain caffeine may cause nervousness and increased heart rate.
Hydroxycut is considered a supplement and does not go through the same rigorous testing as drugs to determine its safety.
6. Prescription Weight Loss Pills – (ex: Phentermine) Certain weight loss pills are only available through a doctor’s prescription. Although there are various pills on the market, most weight loss medications work by making it harder to absorb dietary fat or by suppressing the appetite.
Prescription pills may lead to some weight loss, but they can have strong side effects. Depending on the prescription, side effects of weight loss pills can include stomach pain, dry mouth, racing heart, increased energy, and diarrhea.
A Takeaway from this is this:
When it comes to the best weight loss pills, it appears there is no magic bullet. Although some of the diet pills and supplements mentioned above may contribute to weight loss, the amounts are usually small and not really worth trying – especially long term.
Caffeine, green tea extract, and orlistat appear to have the most research to back up their claims.
Before taking any supplement for weight loss, it is best to talk with a doctor or other healthcare professional.
The best bet for people trying to lose weight is to reduce portion size, eat lean protein, fruits and veggies, and get regular exercise.
(Thanks for medical news today for information!)