1) Stay very busy so you don’t have to address him often. Work, hobbies, outings with friends or family, outings alone, yard work, etc. will keep you occupied and productive.
2) Pretend he is just a roommate who pays “rent” each week. The income is pretty nice.
3) Plan ahead to reach your ultimate goals. Education, job, living arrangements. Write down what you want/need and then follow – step by step. Once you turn the boat over, chaos will ensue, so have a plan first.
4) Meet with a good friend and vent when you need to release steam or seek advice. Or try blogging. It’s an amazing stress reliever.
5) Stop thinking about how things “should” be. They are what they are.
6) Improve yourself – physically, mentally, and spiritually. You are deserving of wonderful things.
7) Love on your cats or dogs. They love you unconditionally and like when you show them you feel the same.
8) Speak to the jerk when passing in the hallway, meeting in the kitchen, or sitting in the same room.
9) Learn to un-care about said jerk. What once was love has obviously become a convenience of living arrangements – sharing the bills so to speak.
10) Realize that you are worthy of real love and a partner who will dote on you and appreciate you.
Get out ASAP if there is violence but if not, and you want to plan a smoother exit route, follow the steps above.
I am not a medical professional. Do not consider my advice as professional. 😉